Almost every episode of the British television series Black Mirror deals with some aspect of contemporary technology relevant to DIG 101. The premise of this out-of-class lab is simple: watch an episode of Black Mirror and make connections to this class.
- Choose any episode from the first three seasons of Black Mirror (except for “The Entire History of You”). The series is on Netflix, which I trust you have access to.
- Watch it! Watching with friends in the class is fine. You’ll each write your own lab report.
- Connect the episode to at least one of our course readings, showing how the episode illustrates, extends, or challenges that reading.
- Use a single shot from the episode as a starting point. Include a screenshot of that scene at the beginning of your lab report. Spend some time analyzing that scene, just as we did in class.
- Write up the connections (and an analysis of those connections) in a 400-500 word Google Doc, shared with firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday at 10am.